Sweaters, Jackets & Coats: How To Properly Care For Your Winter Clothes
Winter season! A season of fresh cold breeze and gentle snow. With our chilly winters, here in The Netherlands, it’s tough to dress warmly without combining fabrics such as cashmere, wool, leather and down into our wardrobe. Most times these fabrics require a large investment when purchased, yet we put very little time and effort in properly cleaning, storing and caring for them.
Clothing Care Guide
To help you successfully maximize the lifespan of your winter clothes, we’ve put together this handy guide with great tips and tricks that you can truly benefit from. You may consider this your ultimate guide for keeping your winter clothes looking sharp for many seasons to come.
Cashmere Sweaters & Coats
• It is best to dry clean your cashmere clothes. As soon as you receive your cashmere coats and other clothing items back from the dry cleaner remove the protective plastic immediately. Fold and wrap cashmere items in tissue paper and store.
• Cashmere items may also be washed in cold water by hand with baby shampoo or Woolite for softness and protection from chemicals.
• Never hold up a wet cashmere sweater by the shoulders. This can cause stretching.
• Make sure to always clean cashmere items before storing it back for the winter, as moths are attracted to our everyday scents, such as our perfume, deodorant and food.
• When cashmere clothes are cleaned and ready to be stored, be sure to fold the sweaters in thirds. By doing so, you won’t get the line running down the front of the sweater.
Vests & Down Jackets
• At Mr. Timesaver, we strongly recommend our customers to have their down winter jackets professionally cleaned. If for any other reason you choose to clean this at home, never wash it in a top loading machine, instead make sure to use only a front-loading washer.
• Don’t add more detergent than necessary. By adding too much detergent, you prevent down items from returning to their previous fluffy state.
• To make sure that all detergent is rinsed out, run the down items through an additional wash cycle without detergent.
• The drying process of down items is quite slow because high heat can cause unnecessary wear and tear to down items. Dry on low heat or the heatless cycle.
• Always toss in a few tennis balls to break up clumps. Even with the tennis balls, you’ll want to pull the down items out of the dryer occasionally and pull apart the clumps with your fingers.
Wool Sweaters & Coats
• It is highly recommended to use a lint or suede brush to remove surface soil and lint.
• Do hang your coats/sweaters on a sturdy hanger to prevent stretching in the shoulder area.
• Keep in mind that wool coats shouldn’t be hung in a packed closet, since air circulation helps the fabric stay fresh.
• Wool coats and sweaters should be dry cleaned at the beginning and at the end of the season. You’re probably asking yourself why? Well, just like cashmere fabric, moths are attracted to everyday human scents such as perfume, deodorant and food.
The Best Dry Cleaning and Laundry Delivery Service In The Netherlands Since 2015!
Mr. Timesaver is The Hague’s premium on-demand pickup and delivery service for dry cleaning, laundry, clothing repairs and shoe repair services. Mr. Timesaver’s services are currently offered in The Hague (Wassenaar, Rijswijk, Voorburg, Leidschendam and Voorschoten), Leiden, Rotterdam & Delft. Mr. Timesaver is the only pick-up and delivery service provider that is open 7 days a week. The best part of all is that there aren’t any delivery costs or hidden fees. With Mr. Timesaver’s dry cleaning prices what you see is what you pay. Learn more about our services & how it works!
If you have any questions regarding our services, please feel free to contact us at 0881846300 or email us at email@example.com We’re always ready to help. If you want to take advantage of our convenient dry cleaning and laundry pick-up and delivery services, you can schedule online, by phone, or email.
Other blog posts that might interest you: